Tuesday 29 September 2015

Behaviour Assignment

The student I chose for this assignment is very chatty, often doesn't listen to her teacher, doesn't write the notes and is the teacher's pet. I will be referred to this student as Lolita. I've had the chance to see Lolita in class for over two weeks now and I have noticed that she craves attention not only from the teacher but from the other students as well. As she is the teacher's pet she sits in her desk in front of the class so everyone can see her which makes it difficult help her change her behaviour.
I believe the behavioural theory that applies better to Lolita would be wanting attention. I have noticed that she craves attention from the teacher and other students in her class, although she has an assigned desk she likes to sit in front of the class, in the teacher's desk, she also talks a lot either to the hole class or to any student around her.
Often teacher's solution to this kind of misbehaviour is to ask the student to leave the classroom, or mentally tune the student out, but in this case the teacher doesn't know much about her craving for attention which makes it hard for me to handle it. When I come into the classroom I try to stand near Lolita without speaking  to her, so she pays attention to the teacher when she teaches a lesson and doesn't distract other students too.
In this case, I believe Lolita needs help from her teacher as it is hard for me to ask her to leave the class or to ask her to sit in her sit when the teacher lets her do pretty much what she wants, but I am doing my best to help her by standing beside her without looking at her and stop talking to her after I have asked her to stop talking and instead going beside the other student she's talking to.    

I think assessing students' marks separately from their learning skills can have a very negative impact on these students. High school is when we prepare ourselves for the adult world, where being late or handing in papers late will not be forgiven so easily as it is in school. In my opinion, absences shouldn't be punished only if they are approved and handing in work late should have consequences if the students doesn't have a valid reason for why they didn't submit their work on time. I think the curriculum should change this way of marking as this is affecting students in the long run, making the curriculum more strict will help the students prepare for the future, this will help them be more successful in university and their workplace.     

No comments:

Post a Comment