Thursday 12 November 2015

Spencer West Talk

One man can move a mountain. I believe this after hearing Spencer West speak. It is extremely inspiring how one man can accomplish so much, and do so much to help people that truly need it. I am grateful for the unbelievable opportunity to meet Spencer West. He made me realize that I can do anything I want no matter what others say. He is a clear example that the only thing that can stop someone is themselves, not even a disability.

In the last few days, we have all been stressing out about university applications, trying to get into the best one and to eventually get a good paying job. Listening to Spencer saying that he had everything, a nice house, money and basically the "American dream" but he was still not happy made me rethink everything that I had been considering these past few days. A good paying job, having money, a nice car and house is not everything I want for the future, I want to get involved and help people that really need it, nothing is more satisfying than giving someone a reason to smile when their lives are not easy. For years I have always wanted to go on a volunteer trip, but I have never had the courage to go. Or I never got around to raising the money to be able to go because, I ended up spending it on less meaningful things. Listening to Spencer made me realize that volunteering would be an amazing opportunity and that it would be truly life changing.

Spencer West's journey is very inspiring, I consider myself very lucky to have have the chance to meet him and listen to his inspiring story. Through his presentation I was brought to tears when I listen to his stories about his trips and I truly hope that I get the chance to volunteer on this kind of project.